Wednesday 18 January 2012

THE SCOOP!

TIWA SAVAGE.
How did your interest in music start?
I actually had a crush on a boy in school and I noticed he used to hang out with other singers so I told my music teacher one day that I didn't want to play the trombone again and wanted to sing. He heard my voice and was actually very impressed. But I still didn't win the boys attention lol.
How did your family respond to your interest in the musical industry?        

At first they encouraged me to study business and accounts because they wanted me to have something to fall back on because the possibility of making it in music is slim but now they are my biggest supporters.
Who were your musical icons while growing up?                                         

I loved and still love Brandy.
Where there a lot of hurdles before you achieved this level of success?       
Yeah there was. People think this is just overnight success but I have been working at this for years. And I still face a lot of challenges now. Its not an easy road. Your every move is scrutinised and your private life no longer exists.
How did you overcome them?  

I have so much love and suppport from my family and my team. My manager, PR, label, etc. I am always very prayerful. God is my strength when I am weak.

Can you share some of the lessons you have learned that would help budding artists in the industry?             
I always say this. Never give up. God's time is best. No matter how long you have been trying just stayed focused and consistent. Nothing great comes easy and if you read the success stories of great artists you will see their struggle and see that it didn't happen overnight.

Do you play any musical instrument? 
I used to play the trombone.
Would you like to learn how to play any instrument and why?                                                                      
I would love to learn how to play the bass guitar. Its my favourite instrument and not many females play it.
Who is Tiwa Savage as a person?       
I am actually more reserved in person, I love quiet nights at home and I love making people happy
Is there any special person in your life right now?                                      
Lol like I said earlier my private life is not so private anymore so this is one of the things I still try and guard carefully.
How are you dealing with the fame you have found in the Nigerian music scene?                                                  

I am so honoured that so many people support and love my music. Sometimes it is hard to deal with people who just hate for no reason but the ratio of supporters outshine that by far so I am blessed
I love the single 'Kele Kele Love'; what inspired the song?   
Its just a mixture of things I had experienced and things I had seen my friends go through. Its a common thing women go through which is why the song became so popular

'Love Me (x3)' is equally a powerful song for the average woman;what inspired it?                                    
Again it was based on past experiences when u first start dating someone and everything is beautiful.You miss that even as soon as they walk out the door lol
Both songs seem to have opposing messages- 'Kele Kele' promotes female independence, 'Love Me (x3)' has a more submissive tone-what messages did you seek to promote through both tunes?                             
Kele kele is not actually talking about female independence it is talking about a female that wants a good man and not someone that wants to play her. So both songs are actually about love. "Love me" is more about a girl who has already found that man and is now just expressing her affection.
Both songs are equally catchy and enjoyable; how did you decide on the sounds for these tunes?                
There wasn't a strategic decision. I just wrote both songs one after the other and everything just seemed to fall into place.
You have a lot of experience from writing songs for populamusicians; how has this shaped your own music?                                           
My album so far is very diverse because of this very reason. I have worked with various artists and this has influenced me in a very good way. I am able to create music and topics that people can relate to.
Can you share some of the lessons you have learned that would help budding artists in the industry?            
 I always say this. Never give up. God's time is best. No matter how long you have been trying just stayed focused and consistent. Nothing great comes easy and if you read the success stories of great artists you will see their struggle and see that it didn't happen overnight.                                                                      

How does it feel to be a Grammy Nominee?                                             
It feels great but I have to give the glory to God without Him it would not have been possible. I worked on that song on a night that I was frustrated with music and God turned that frustration into my blessing.
Are there any Nigerian artistes you would lke to collaborate with? Why?      
Yeah many of them and I have had the opportunity to work with some already. Great artists like 9ice, Psquared, Don Jazzy, Sosick, Leo Wonder, Tosin Martins, Banky W, Eldee, Weird MC, May D. I would still love to work with wande coal, 2face, Asa and many more. There are so many wonderful artists in nigeria I look forward to many collaborations.

                                                                                                                How would you define your style?    
My style varies according to my mood. Whether I am feeling glamorous, girl next door or just wanting to be comfortable. I mainly love simple, classy cuts.
What are your plans for the future?  
By the grace of God more music, more videos and more avenues to encourage women and give back.
Any words of wisdom for aspiring Nigerian artistes?                                  
Like I said in the earlier question and that is "never give up" and always keep close to God.    






Tolu Falode.






                           

















                  
                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment